martes, 17 de abril de 2012
A New Monument to the Sieges of Badajoz 1811-12 to be Dedicated at the Santa Maria Bastion on 21st April 2012/ Inauguración del monumento en Badajoz 21 de abril 2012
On 21st April 2012, to coincide with the bicentenary of the Peninsular War, an obelisk monument to the memory of the heroic and tragic acts which accompanied the sieges of Badajoz in 1811-12 will be dedicated in the presence of dignitaries from France, Portugal, Spain, and the United Kingdom as well as supporters of The British Cemetery at Elvas.
All of those who perished, irrespective of their nationality, rank or social status, soldiers or civilians, deserve to be remembered. This then will be a monument in memory of all of those who lost their lives in “The Sieges of Badajoz”. A monument that will be the focus for all to remember those difficult and turbulent times as well as serving as a reminder of the important historical significance of the terrible sieges of 1811 and 1812.
Erected at the site of the Santa Maria Bastion at Badajoz the monument (obelisk) is 6.75m high and designed by Estanislao García Olivares, a well-known and renowned local sculptor in Badajoz, whose works include the statue of Ibn Marwan (founder of the city) and the large ‘horse statue’ of Alfonso VIII in Plasencia.
The obelisk is to consist of 4 sides; each dedicated to one of the four principal countries involved: Spain, United Kingdom, Portugal and France. Each face will have a bronze plaque, 50 x 50 cm, with the same text in the country’s language below the national insignia/coat of arms. The obelisk will be made of silver/yellow coloured granite, with a diameter of 30 cm, and will be cut at Eleuterio Deogracias’s quarry at Quintana de la Serena (Badajoz).
The following text will appear on the English plaque:
In 1811 and 1812, during the Peninsular War, Badajoz and its surroundings saw the most glorious and fearful actions of which man is capable. These now legendary events have inspired thousands of pages of history.